Is there a concrete floor in your home or workplace? Perhaps you have noticed that although they look beautiful, your concrete floor is not actually flat and you need a solution–self leveling compound!
Layer upon layer of self-leveling compound is important for any floor or surface. It evens out the tiniest of imperfections, creating a stunningly smooth finish.
The self-leveling compound is a mixture of cement, additives, and water that produces a liquid when poured.
This liquid quickly corrects surface-level inconsistencies, fills away voids, and self-level upon application to provide an unrivaled polished end product.
Past self leveling compounds have been restrictive in their use–they could not be used on outdoor surfaces or sloped areas as they would easily dry and crack–but new self-leveling compounds can be applied on nearly any surface both inside and outside of your home or business without fear of unevenness or cracking.
In today’s article, we will discuss it together:
1. What is self leveling compound?
2. Why is self leveling compound necessary recommend the products on our website
3. Advantages of self leveling compound
4. How to use self leveling floor compound
What is self-leveling compound?
self-leveling compound (SLC) is an important and versatile tool for many construction jobs. It’s a cement-based material that self-levels when poured, creating a flawless top layer on a flat surface in one go.
Easy to apply and incredibly durable, self-leveling compound is perfect for use in most interior applications such as underfloor heating and laying tiles.
It also provides a great base for plastering walls or creating smooth surfaces for painting.
The leveling compound can be used on a variety of substrates, including concrete, screeds, existing tile, and wood floors. Ideal for use in areas with sloping floors or where the filler is required. Due to the nature of self-leveling compounds, excessive amounts of water are not required.
So if you’re looking to get the perfect finish quickly with minimal effort – self leveling compound could be just what you need!
Knowledge about self-leveling compounds
Acrylic-based leveling compounds
- An acrylic-based self-leveling compound is an ideal solution to creating a level, strong base for your interior flooring project. Created by mixing cement powder and acrylic polymer liquid following the manufacturer’s instructions, self-leveling compounds provide a fast and fuss-free method of achieving a safe surface foundation quickly. Not only that, self-leveling compounds are known to produce stronger and more durable results than traditional methods.
- Advantages of this type of compound include increased flexibility, better adherence to a concrete subfloor, and durability.
- Disadvantages include longer drying times due to the polymers present in the mixture, as well as potential delays caused by humidity levels or outdoor temperatures.
Water-based leveling compounds
- Water-based leveling compounds are the most common type of leveling compound, made by mixing cement powder with water.
- This type of compound dries quickly (10-20 minutes) and allows for faster flooring installation and project completion, resulting in lower labor costs.
- However, installers must be experienced to get the best results as they need to apply it quickly before it hardens in the bucket; all tools should be ready close by.
Self-leveling compounds are not intended to be used as the final floor surface for pedestrian traffic. They are instead used to prepare subfloors for more robust installations, such as tile.
When installing underfloor heating, it is important to select a leveling compound that can handle thermal exposure.
In just two minutes, you have gained knowledge about self-leveling compounds. However, if you need further advice on any of your concrete flooring needs, visit sucesscrete.
We have a friendly and knowledgeable staff ready to help you with self levelling compounds. In addition, successcrete offers a wide range of quality tiles at low prices.
Visit our website and buy our self-leveling compounds now.
Why is self leveling compound necessary
Is self-leveling compound necessary for you?
Self-leveling compound has become an increasingly popular choice amongst architects, builders, and designers when it comes to creating a smooth finished look on cement floors and surfaces.
The self-leveling compound self-levels easily and provides a high degree of precision when it comes to depth and dimensions as well as providing a more stable base.
This is incredibly important in applications where a surface needs to remain waterproof, such as roofs with terrace gardens.
Moreover, self-leveling compounds also provide an extremely durable outdoor surface that is able to withstand weather over time – meaning fewer maintenance costs compared with other compounds.
- The entire concrete floor needs to be resurfaced. Traditional repair methods may not always work, so self-leveling concrete can be a good choice. Uneven spots on the slab can often be corrected by grinding and using self-leveling concrete to restore smoothness.
Mud drilling and polyurethane injection are sometimes necessary for uneven panels that cannot otherwise be fixed.
- Self-leveling compound can be used as a stand-alone finished flooring material. It has the potential to create an industrial look with natural concrete. Coloring additives in self-leveling concrete can add interesting finishes and complement existing or planned trim, paint, backsplashes, and feature tiles.
- Self-leveling concrete is a cost-effective flooring solution, especially for projects that require the removal of the floor, subfloor, or foundation. It can be used to revitalize existing layers with just a ½” thick layer of self-leveling concrete. This makes it an ideal win-win situation for those looking to save money and time on their project.
Self-leveling compounds have extraordinary benefits and are cost-effective, anything else you’d like to know? Feel free to contact our professional team or go directly to our website to place an order for the product you need!
Advantages of self leveling compound
Is self leveling compound necessary for you?
Self-leveling compound has become an increasingly popular option for flooring projects due to their ease of application.
Whether you’re laying down vinyl, tile, or laminate, self-leveling compound acts as a self-smoothing base that ensures a flat and level surface before you begin, saving time and effort in the long run.
Less labor required
One of the many advantages of the self-leveling compound is that it requires less labor, which can mean a quicker and easier renovation or repair. If you’re looking to level out an uneven floor, self-leveling compound can provide an ideal solution that saves time and money compared to other methods.
Leveled and smooth surface is obtained
Self leveling compound has become an essential product when it comes to home renovation. It ensures that you obtain a levelled and smooth surface while minimizing the stress involved in a simple task such as tiling or other flooring work.
It also allows you to preplan your area, enabling you to manage what kind of tile or carpet flooring you wish to go ahead without having to worry about the self-leveling process.
Even if there are small imperfections on your surface, self-leveling compound can even them out and provide a smooth finish that looks perfect.
Water Resistant surface is obtained
Self leveling compounds are becoming increasingly necessary in today’s construction projects.
Whether you’re working on a commercial or residential project, self-leveling compounds offer plenty of advantages.
The main advantage of self-leveling compounds is that they provide a strong, water-resistant surface that can be used to create an even layer over subfloors.
With self-leveling compound, you can avoid having lumps and bumps that can eventually cause floor surfaces to break down.
Another great aspect of self-leveling compound is that it’s relatively inexpensive compared to other options for creating an even floor surface.
Resist the growth of microorganisms
And its ability to resist the growth of microorganisms.
This is important as it helps to keep buildings and floors free from any kind of fungi, bacteria, or mold which can cause severe health and structural issues if left unchecked.
self leveling compound also requires minimal maintenance and provides a smooth, level surface that is both durable and attractive.
Strong adhesive properties
Its strong adhesive properties help provide stability for surfaces, helping avoid potential damage caused by shifting or settling.
For example, self leveling compounds can be used in high-traffic areas with ease, ensuring that their special qualities are retained despite all kinds of wear and tear.
Best choice of heavily reinforced concrete construction
Heavily reinforced concrete construction can provide a number of advantages over other building methods, making it an excellent choice for projects large and small.
One key advantage is that self-leveling compounds can be used to create an extremely consistent foundation, granting a strong and durable base for any structure.
Self-leveling compound is formed by adding water to powdered cement and sand mixtures in order to level out the surface before beginning structure construction.
In addition to creating even foundations, self leveling compounds have remarkable flexibility allowing them to expand and stretch with the ground movements as well as act as a waterproof seal.
This allows heavily reinforced concrete construction projects to maintain rigidity against the tests of time and weather alike!
The hardening of concrete is taking place in a homogeneous way
Hardening of concrete is a critical process in construction as it ensures the structural integrity and stability of the material.
When hardening takes place in a homogenous way, self-leveling compound can be used to level the concrete surface evenly, allowing it to set properly while providing superior protection against wear.
This self-leveling compound is particularly important for any surfaces that will bear increased pressure or mobility, such as roads or pathways that may have heavy vehicular traffic.
How to use self leveling floor compound
- Assess the condition of the concrete surface to determine the scope and amount of Concrete Leveler needed.
- Consider what type of flooring will be installed over it – carpet, snap-in vinyl plank and engineered wood flooring can tolerate minor variations in subfloor levels whereas solid wood or tile requires a perfectly level slab with no more than a quarter-inch difference between the highest and lowest points.
- If leaving concrete exposed or using forgiving material, use a repair compound such as Cement All for problem areas.
- For an even horizontal base, equip yourself with enough concrete levelers to cover the entire square footage; a 50-pound bag covers 12 – 15 sq ft at half-inch thickness or 24 – 30 sq ft at quarter-inch thickness.
Preparation of the surface
- Preparation of the surface is essential before laying self-leveling concrete. This involves removing all debris and ensuring there are no visible cracks or joints.
- Self-leveling concrete will cover any existing issues, however, it won’t fix them in the long run as they may resurface in the future. In such cases, everything laid on top of the original surface would need to be removed for repair work to take place.
Dry the floor
When applying self leveling floor compound, there are a few tips to keep in mind for best results. In order to prevent problems later on, make sure to thoroughly prep the surface and check for moisture issues.
Not only can moisture cause the self leveling compound to not harden, but it can also lead to the weakening of the compound over time.
Before you begin, vacuum or thoroughly sweep the entire space to remove all dirt and grime, and make sure the surfaces to be treated are as clean as possible. Taking the extra steps at the beginning will ensure a floor that is easy to maintain, beautiful, and even!
- Self-leveling concrete may or may not include a primer.
- It is important to check the product description to determine if a primer is necessary and which one should be used for the specific product and floor type.
- The manufacturer of the product should also be consulted regarding primers.
Mix and stir
- In order to mix the cement, add water to a large bucket first and then gradually add the powder.
- The mixture should be stirred until it becomes very thick and has a finish resembling that of thick paint.
- To achieve this consistency, use a cement mixing paddle powered by an electric drill.
- The product must be mixed until it is thick and has a finish-like appearance.
- A cement mixing paddle driven by a power drill should be used for the task.
- Once mixing stops, the product will start to set.
Pour out and spread evenly
- Pour the mixture onto the prepared floor at an even but rapid rate, starting from one corner of the room and moving toward the exit.
- Using a trowel or pin leveling trowel is an important step in ensuring that a cement mixture is evenly spread out over the area of the floor. This tool can be used to push the compound into those areas that might not have been adequately covered by the initial pour.
- A trowel should be held firmly in one hand while using the other hand to slowly and steadily spread the compound across the surface, taking care not to gouge or create dips in its surface. Care should also be taken to ensure that all edges of walls and other objects are evenly covered. If needed, use a straight edge or ruler to help with spread consistency.
- Once all of the compound is laid out, it should be left for 24-48 hours before being walked on or further treated for waterproofing or protection against stains. During this time, it’s important to keep an eye on any dips or irregularities so they can be re-leveled before setting.
- It is important to clean up any drips and splatters immediately, as they will become more difficult to remove once the leveling compound has set. Cleaning tools should also be done soon after use for the same reason. Cleaning up with a damp cloth should be enough to remove most of the compound, but more stubborn stains can be removed using a mild detergent or solvent.
- To finish off the surface of the leveling compound, sandpaper and light buffing can help create an even texture.
Not only is self-leveling concrete incredibly easy to use – its self leveling properties mean that it can be applied with minimal effort – but self-leveling concrete also has excellent strength and durability.
It’s easy to see why self-leveling concrete is becoming more popular among those who are looking for a long-lasting, smooth surface finish.
Please feel free to contact us, if you have any questions or have an interest in our products.